Chautauqua offered a rich and diversified program during the summer of 1898.
The Chautauqua Assembly Herald editorial for Aug. 18, 1897, announced it was to be a Red Letter Day in Chautauqua Institution’s calendar.
An editorial in the Chautauqua Assembly Herald on July 29, 1896, acknowledged the admirable lecture that Professor William James, the psychologist from Harvard, gave the previous week on July 24.
To pick up The Chautauqua Assembly Herald on July 26, 1895, Chautauquans would read about themselves from the day before, awakened by a Chautauquan landlady calling her guests’ attention to the fact that breakfast in her house would begin promptly at 7 a.m.
The Walk and Talk Man, unnamed other than by his Chautauqua Assembly Herald byline, walked the grounds and talked with residents and lecturers during the 1890s. He referred to himself in the third person.
In the opening July 22 issue of the 1891 season, the Chautauqua Assembly Herald ran an editorial that reported, “The ASSEMBLY HERALD is printed this morning on two steam presses in the new brick building on Bowman Avenue near the public road. The Herald has thus the second brick building at Chautauqua. These signs of permanence are gladly welcomed by all who are interested in the growth and prosperity of this, the parent Assembly and place of origin of the C.L.S.C.”